Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Day 16

Small meal: "Fried rice" made with quinoa, 1 egg (scrambled), red/yellow peppers, edamame, and mushrooms then for taste, I added a little bit of sea salt, pepper, and garlic. 
Bananas, mango, watermelon, and a hiding sweet potato: I love having healthy food around :)
Coconut fudge: I don't know how healthy this is. I wanted to make Hawaiian Haupia, but all of the recipes I found used a large amount of cornstarch. I found this recipe on Pinterest, and decided to try it out.

1/4 cup coconut oil
 1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
3 tbsp honey
1 tsp coconut sugar

Melt coconut oil over low heat and mix in remaining ingredients. Use plastic wrap to line a freezer-safe dish. Pour mixture into dish and freeze (~1 hour depending on thickness). I cut up strawberries to eat with it as well.*

*This was absolutely delicious, but it was very sweet. I didn't think the small amount of honey and coconut sugar would make that much of a difference, but if I were to make this again, I'd lower the amount. Also, make sure it is consumed straight from the freezer or that it is kept below a temperature of 76 degrees. Since coconut oil has a low melting point, it literally melts in your mouth (but will also melt long before it reaches your mouth if left out.)
Breakfast: Apple-cinnamon Oatmeal pancakes!
I kind of made this recipe up as I went along, and it was pretty good!

Pancakes: 1/2 c oatmeal
1/4 cup liq. egg whites
3 tbsp milk
1 tbsp whole wheat flour (for thickness)
1 tsp cinnamon

I mixed the oatmeal with a little bit of water and cooked it first before adding the remaining ingredients.  Once mixed well, I cooked them like pancakes on a skillet.

Apple topping: 1 honeycrisp apple, sliced and cubed
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp water

I placed the apples and the cinnamon in a microwave-safe bowl and cooked for 1 minute, and then mixed with the remaining ingredients in a blender until I had a thick consistency topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment